ABOUT THIS PHOTO
Rufus Holsinger (1866-1930) took this photo of “Midway” looking east on March 7, 1917. This part of town at the crest of Vinegar Hill along the historic Three Notch’d Road (later West Main Street) was known throughout the 19th and early 20th century as Midway or sometimes Midway Square (being roughly mid-way between the original downtown Charlottesville at Court Square and the University of Virginia, which opened March 7, 1825). This photo was taken two years before the Lewis, Clark, and Sacajawea statue was installed. The busy street trolley tracks are visible on the left, which covered much of Charlottesville from the 1880s to the 1930s. The 1894 Midway School is in the center (built on the site of the historic 1818 Midway Hotel). This school served the City’s white children, elementary through high school, while African-American children attended the nearby Jefferson School. A new McGuffey Graded School opened in 1916, and the Midway School thereafter became more commonly known as Lane High School, after teacher and school superintendent James Waller Lane. That school was replaced by the more modern Lane High School down the hill (today’s County Office Building), which opened in 1940 and was not replaced by today’s Charlottesville High School until 1974. The 1894 Midway School building later became municipal office space until 1966. The building was razed in 1973, and in 1977 became the site of the Midway Manor Senior Housing complex. (photo is courtesy of the Special Collections Library at the University of Virginia.
Gone But No Forgotten
Quick! Come See the Exhibit Now
Posted on September 12, 2018
A native of North Garden, Virginia (just south of Charlottesville), Mary Nelson Lewis was born in 1861 and married the Reverend George W. Lewis in 1881. They both spent their lives as inspirational leaders, dedicated to the Ebenezer Baptist Church faith community. Their commitment to family, community and faith positively touched the lives of generations. The story of the Lewis family in Albemarle County is just one of many now on display in the Exhibit Hall here at the McIntire Building on the Park in downtown Charlottesville.
The exhibit, “Gone But Not Forgotten,” explores the lives of many people who were laid to rest at the Daughters of Zion Cemetery. This African-American burial ground is located just a few blocks south of the Downtown Mall. The first burial took place there in 1873, and represented an historic effort to create a final resting place for people of color in Central Virginia — so that they would not have to be buried in segregated public cemeteries. The Daughters of Zion Cemetery is one of the first of its kind in this part of the south.
Produced in collaboration with the Preservers of the Daughters of Zion, we are so proud to offer this exhibit. It is free and open to the public during our regular business hours. Click here to plan your visit. Please note that this exhibit will only be up for a few more weeks, when we transition to a new Fall 2018 Exhibit.
Help Support Our <em><strong>Mission</strong></em>
Become a <em><strong>Member</strong></em>
Sign up for <em><strong>Free</strong></em>
Receive all the latest news and updates direct to your inbox.
At the Historic McIntire Library
On the park in downtown Charlottesville
200 Second Street, NE
Charlottesville, Virginia 22902
Monday-Friday (9-5), Saturday (10-1)