<em><strong>Blog</strong></em>

ABOUT THIS PHOTO

Rufus Holsinger (1866-1930) took this photo of “Midway” looking east on March 7, 1917. This part of town at the crest of Vinegar Hill along the historic Three Notch’d Road (later West Main Street) was known throughout the 19th and early 20th century as Midway or sometimes Midway Square (being roughly mid-way between the original downtown Charlottesville at Court Square and the University of Virginia, which opened March 7, 1825). This photo was taken two years before the Lewis, Clark, and Sacajawea statue was installed. The busy street trolley tracks are visible on the left, which covered much of Charlottesville from the 1880s to the 1930s. The 1894 Midway School is in the center (built on the site of the historic 1818 Midway Hotel). This school served the City’s white children, elementary through high school, while African-American children attended the nearby Jefferson School. A new McGuffey Graded School opened in 1916, and the Midway School thereafter became more commonly known as Lane High School, after teacher and school superintendent James Waller Lane. That school was replaced by the more modern Lane High School down the hill (today’s County Office Building), which opened in 1940 and was not replaced by today’s Charlottesville High School until 1974. The 1894 Midway School building later became municipal office space until 1966. The building was razed in 1973, and in 1977 became the site of the Midway Manor Senior Housing complex. (photo is courtesy of the Special Collections Library at the University of Virginia.

UVA 1895

Once the Most Familiar Photo of UVA

Posted on August 8, 2018

F rom the 1895 edition of the University of Virginia yearbook Corks and Curls comes this classic image of the Academical Village with the caption: “In a Mountain Valley of the Blue Ridge.” A version of this same photo appeared in the original 1888 edition and in most issues of Corks and Curls during its early years. It was also used in numerous other  publications during this time— making this image the most widely published and recognizable photograph of the University of Virginia in the 19th century.

 

 

 

Help Support Our <em><strong>Mission</strong></em>

Become a <em><strong>Member</strong></em>